Working to preserve our planet
At Graham, we deliver measurable value through sustainable efforts.
Our sustainability efforts — both internally and in collaboration with our customers — have gained momentum. Our team is using that momentum to create positive change for our company, our customers and our communities. Read our 2022 Sustainability Report to learn more about our goals and initiatives.
Planning for a more sustainable future
We know that the steps we take to protect our planet over the next five to 10 years will be critical. That’s why we’re committed to finding new solutions for our customers and facilities today, while working toward our long-term sustainability goals. These goals include:
- Achieving 25% energy reduction by 2028
- Increasing our use of PCR, including ocean-bound plastic, by incorporating an average of 20% PCR across all bottles by 2025
- Conducting more life-cycle assessments to help communicate the value of sustainability to our customers
- Innovating to provide product lightweighting, durability and reusability
- Continuing to design for recyclability across all products to achieve our goal of 100% recyclability by 2025
- Committing to a 30% greenhouse gas emission reduction by 2030 from our 2020 baseline
Reflecting on a year of progress
In recent years, we've taken many important steps toward our long-term goals, including increasing our use of recycled materials, embracing sustainable manufacturing practices and promoting good recycling habits. Some highlights from 2022 include:
- Graham reduced its GHG scope 1 emissions by 17% and scope 2 emissions by 10% from the previous year.
- Sustainalytics gave the company a top ESG rating in regional and industry categories, with Graham scoring second in its containers and packaging industry globally.
- 98% of Graham’s products are recyclable, with its overall post-consumer recycled (PCR) content at 7%
- Graham established targets in line with the 1.5°C target based on the latest climate science and submitted those targets for validation to the Science-Based Target initiative for review in 2023.
- Graham received the Sustainability Leadership Award from the Business Intelligence Group.
- Two additional plants received International Sustainability & Carbon Certification (ISCC) Plus certification, bringing Graham’s total to four plants that can allow for use of advanced recycled materials.
We work to always be the partner of choice by helping customers meet their sustainability goals now and in the future.
Increasing our R&D efforts, hiring the best talent and developing innovative processes and technologies helps us reach internal targets.
We're positioning ourselves for the future through strong sustainability partnerships and continuous improvement initiatives.
Recognized as a 2022 Top Rated Company by Morningstar Sustainalytics
Graham Packaging was ranked in the top 2% of the more than 15,600 global companies assessed by Sustainalytics in its latest Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Rating. The company also received second in its containers and packaging industry category and second in its subindustry of metal and glass packaging.
2022 Sustainability Award
We were honored by Business Intelligence Group as the only plastic packaging company to receive an award in their Sustainability Leadership (Organization) category. This 2022 Sustainability Award recognizes our sustainability vision and the steps we’re taking toward achieving it.
Partnering for success
We're members of several sustainability-focused organizations and together, we're working to promote environmentally responsible behavior and enable everyone to live healthier, more sustainable lives. Learn more about our partners.
Reviewing where we’ve been
To see sustainability reports from previous years, simply download the report you would like to view.
2022 ESG Report
2021 Sustainability Report
2020 Sustainability Report
2019 Sustainability Report
2018 Sustainability Report
ESG Statements and Disclosures
- 2022 Verified Emissions
- Ethics and Compliance Hotline Disclosure
- Commitment to Human Rights
- Graham Packaging France–Assevent and Graham Packaging Normandie-Creully have been assessed and found to comply with the characteristics set out in the decree in force on the date of third party audit. French Decree “Décret no 2021-461 du 16 avril 2021 relatif à la prévention des pertes de granulés de plastiques industriels dans l’environnement”